Royalty Tours USA

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Royalty w/o 3/19 in review

Rangers win 2-1 in OT!
After seeing a new record of four sporting events in one day and nine in three days, I had a sub par week with only six total. I can only play the cards I'm dealt. That goes for everybody in life. We only have so much time to enjoy the ride. Some days and weeks are better than others.

Here's how this week went for me:

Monday night after going back to work during the day, I went out to the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ to see the Nets host the Cleveland Cavaliers. I was pulling for the Cavs because of the great people I know from that part of the country. On that night, the Cavs didn't let me or them down. Since LeFraud abandoned his hometown area, the Cavaliers have been in rebuilding mode.

With that being said, the Cavaliers have since drafted well adding a few pieces of the puzzle to ultimately get them where they want to go. Of course, that is to get back to the NBA Finals and hopefully they'll win before LeFraud has a chance to do so again.

As for the game I saw with the King and our pal Vincent Ascanio, the Cavaliers trailed most of the game but they hung tough as they found a way to beat the Nets, 105-100.

They were led by their crowned jewels, the number one overall pick in the most recent NBA draft, guard Kyrie Irving from Duke and forward Tristan Thompson from Texas, the fourth pick in the same draft. Irving turned it up a notch in the fourth quarter as he helped lead the comeback by pouring in majority of his 26 points and he handed out 7 assists. Tristan Thompson added 27 points and he grabbed 12 rebounds as the Cavaliers won the game.

Based on those performances, the future has potential for the team from Northern Ohio. Time will tell if they can finish putting together the rest of the pieces of the puzzle. For starters, they're heading in the right direction.

Tuesday night after work I went to Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks play the Toronto Raptors. It was my 600th lifetime Knick game that I've seen in person at MSG.

As for the game, Linsanity returned to form at the mecca as he scored 18 points and he dished out 10 assists while his teammate Amar'e Stoudemire finished with 22 points and 12 rebounds as the Knicks blew away the Raptors, 106-87.

Wednesday night after work I went back to the Garden, this time to see the Rangers play the Detroit Red Wings. It was a match up of two of the best teams in the league.

As for the game I saw, the Rangers fell behind 1-0 as the Red Wings took the early lead. The Rangers hung around as they eventually tied the game at 1. The game wound up going to overtime. The Rangers' Ryan Callahan lit the lamp just past the midpoint of the extra session to give the Rangers' the 2-1 victory.
Thursday night after work, I went home to do my laundry. In addition, I was able to rest up and recharge the batteries for a short time as well.

Friday night after work, I went to Newark, NJ to see the Devils play the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I was rooting for the Maple Leafs' because our pal Sean McDonald is a big fan of theirs.

As for the game I saw, the Maple Leafs held a 3-1 lead but the Devils managed to tie the game and they forced overtime. After a scoreless extra session, the winner was decided in a shootout. The Maple Leafs wound up scoring three goals on three attempts to beat the Devils, 4-3. Unfortunately for them and our friend Sean it was too little too late as the Maple Leafs won't be making playoffs again this season.

Saturday I was out and about during the day taking care of some things I needed to do. At night I went with the King to see the Knicks as they played the Detroit Pistons at the Garden.

As for the game we saw, the Knicks cruised to an easy 101-79 win as Tyson Chandler was a force in the middle as he scored 15 points and he pulled down 17 rebounds.

The win was a nice way to bounce back for the Knicks after they got beat up the night before in Toronto who returned the favor from Tuesday night at the MSG.

Sunday afternoon the King and I took a Metro-North train round trip to Bridgeport, Connecticut where we went whale watching if you will. We saw the Sound Tigers, the NY Islanders' AHL affiliate play the Rangers' farm team, the Whale at Webster Bank Arena.

More importantly, I finally got to meet up with another sports fan and big fan of my blog, Greg Venuto. I got in contact with Greg a few years ago thanks to Danielle Granquist who lives in Denver. She's a big hockey fan. Through her website, hockee puck, which is on my blog list, Greg got in contact with her because he's a huge hockey fan himself. As a result, he got in touch with me via e-mail thanks to her.

After trying and failing to meet up at various sporting events, we finally made the right connection. Since Greg lives in nearby Norwalk, Connecticut he decided to join me for the Sound Tiger game.

We spoke and told each other different sports related stories which made for a fun filled afternoon and experience.

In addition, we got to witness an entertaining hockey game too. The Sound Tigers and Whale scored early & often as it was 3-2 Sound Tigers after the first period. Despite a scoreless second period, the Whale wound up tying the game at three in the third period. The Sound Tigers emerged victorious as they scored the game winner with just two seconds left in overtime to win, 4-3.

It was a great way to end an enjoyable day. I want to personally thank Greg for being able to breakaway from his wife and two kids so he could hook up with me.

I look forward to seeing Greg again in the near future. He does like baseball and the Yankees so hopefully it will be sooner than later.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: