Royalty Tours USA

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Royalty catches up with All-Star pitcher Gio Gonzalez of the Washington Nationals at Marlins Park!

Gio Gonzalez and I at New Marlins Park 
Back in late December when the Washington Nationals announced they traded for my boy Gio Gonzalez, I got all excited. I knew in the middle of July I was planning to see the New Marlins Park and they were scheduled to play the Nationals that weekend.

Since Gio joined the team, I knew I had another chance to see him in person. I got to see him early in the season at Citi Field when the Nationals played the Mets in April.

I told him then I'll see him again in July in Miami. Ironically Gio grew up in nearby Hialeah and he went to high school there back in 2000 and 2001. He pitched a no hitter he told some family and friends who were on hand to see him.

After batting practice, I went over to the area near short right field. After his teammates all ran into the clubhouse, there was Gio coming over to meet & greet me, his family and friends as well as other fans who wanted his autograph and/or a picture with him. As always, Gio made sure he acknowledged everyone. He's such a great guy. He was with us for a good 15 minutes. I don't know many athletes these days that would even give you the time of day.

Despite being bombarded by his family and friends, he still treated everybody else there fairly.

I got to chat with him while he was there. It was great to catch up with him again. I told him I plan to see him again at Citi Field when the Nationals return in a week and a half. I also had the privilege of meeting his mother too. What a nice lady. I made sure I told her that he has a great son. She was wearing an All-Star jersey from Kansas City with his name and number on it.

Of course, Gio was scheduled to pitch Saturday night when we were going to be in Atlanta. I plan to finally see him pitch again at Citi Field when they play the Mets again. It will be payback for him since he got roughed up the other day against them in Washington.

Regardless of how he pitches, he's still my boy win or lose.

Thank you for reading and following.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: