Royalty Tours USA

Friday, November 23, 2012

Royalty catches up with Eric Hasseltine, Memphis radio announcer at FedEx Forum in Memphis!

Eric Hasseltine and I
Back in December 2006 at Madison Square Garden, I met up with Eric Hasseltine who calls the Memphis Grizzlies games on radio. I had asked him if had a Grizzlie pocket schedule. He said in matter of fact I do. I told him about all the traveling I do. He seemed very interested.

Since that night, I've always looked for him whenever the Grizzlies came to play the Knicks and/or the Nets. He would always stop his busy work load to acknowledge my presence. With that being said, I knew he was a good guy.

I've seen him numerous times over the years but I never got to see him in Memphis. I was determined to do so.

I told him I wanted to get back to the FedEx Forum. I was planning to go there last year but then the NBA was locked out and the season started late so I didn't get to back up what I said.

When the NBA schedule came out in late July, I noticed the Grizzlies were home when I was planning to see the Jets play in St. Louis. Ironically the Knicks happened to be playing the Grizzlies the same weekend. Regardless my main goal was to see Eric Hasseltine.

When I entered the building, I searched around to find the broadcast booth where Eric would be calling the game from. Once I found it, I knew I had to sweet talk an usher to let me go to where he was. I tried asking a lady and he refused to let me go down without a ticket for her section. As usual, I didn't accept no for an answer. I went to the next section and I asked the guy who was on guard if I could go down to see the radio announcer. He thankfully said yes. I was so excited.

I waited patiently for a few minutes then Eric got my attention. He told me to wait a few minutes and he came back with a Grizzlies media guide for me. That was so nice of him. He seemed all stressed out. He told me they gave him an unexpected assignment. That what happens when the team is winning he said. He still spoke to me for a few minutes. It was great to see him again. I told him I hope to see him again on New Year's Eve in Indianapolis when the Grizzlies visit the Pacers. If not, I'll see him when they come to Brooklyn in late February and MSG in late March.

I'm so glad to see the Grizzlies are playing so well. Eric's been with the team since they moved to Memphis from Vancouver back in 2001. They've had their share of ups and downs. I'm glad they're in the midst of an up swing these days. I hope they continue to play well.

Eric also hosts his own sports radio show on ESPN radio 92.9 in Memphis M-F 2-4PM Central Time. If you want to listen to him, tune in.

He can be found on Twitter. His handle is @EricHasseltine.

I want to personally thank him for giving me some of his precious time while I was in Memphis.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman


No comments: