Royalty Tours USA

Monday, November 4, 2013

Royalty goes to Prudential Center to see NJ Devils' Home Opener!

When September ended so did the regular season for baseball. As for me, my baseball games were going to be few & far between if I got to see any more.

With that being said, it was time to gear up for the fall & winter sports on a regular basis.

With a limited number of sporting events in the area during the month of October, I had to find a way to keep myself busy. Luckily I was able to go out to Newark, NJ after work on Friday, October 4th as the NJ Devils played their home opener against their local area rival, the NY Islanders at the Prudential Center. The Devils lost their first game the night before in Pittsburgh as the Penguins shut them out.

I wound up meeting my pal Mike Carroll who bought the King's ticket for the game since he wound up going to Boston to see the Red Sox play the Rays in the American League Division Series at Fenway Park instead. After I got delayed due to signal problems on the Path train, I finally got to meet up with Mike outside the arena around 6:40PM. As a result, I decided to get a spinach stromboli at the Rock for dinner. It turned out to be a wise move since it was getting close to game time.

Home Opener at Prudential Center
When I finished eating, I went up to my seat in section 226 row 6 where I was joined by Mike Carroll & my other buddy Vincent Ascanio who was present & accounted for. After the first intermission, I walked around the concourse & I saw Domish, the hockey king if you will.

As for the game we saw, the Devils scored their first goal of the season 2:59 into the first period when Damien Brunner lit the lamp to give the Devils a 1-0 lead. The Islanders tied the game at one later in the period when Michael Grabner of the Islanders got the equalizer. Both teams exchanged goals in the second & third periods as Michael Grabner got two of them. As for the Devils, they tied the game at three 7:34 into the third period when Damien Brunner added his second goal of the game. After playing a scoreless five minute overtime session, the game was decided by a shootout. In the skills competition, both teams showed their incompetence. Neither team could score for the first five rounds. Finally in the sixth round, Matt Moulson of the Islanders scored the one & only goal of the shootout. As a result, the Islanders emerged victorious, 4-3.

Stay tuned for a series of special posts that will recap my memorable weekend getaway to the Southeast over the first weekend in October.

Thank you for reading & following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: