Royalty Tours USA

Monday, January 27, 2014

Royalty had a December to Remember!

The month of December got started with a two sport doubleheader as the King & I went to MetLife Stadium on the 1st to see the Jets play their division rival, the Miami Dolphins. The Jets continued their downward spiral as they lost for the third week in a row. After that debacle, we went to the Transformed Garden to see the Knicks take on the New Orleans Pelicans. After a night off on Monday night, I had a busy week. Tuesday night I went to the Barclays Center to see the Nets host the Denver Nuggets. Wednesday night I went to Newark, NJ to see the Devils do battle with the Montreal Canadiens at the Prudential Center. Earlier in the day, our pal & fellow roadtripper Paul Derrick who recently got back in touch with me came to visit the King & I for the weekend. He wound up meeting up with our pal Eddie Pelle who arranged to meet him & they both went out to Stony Brook for a college basketball game that night. Thursday night after work I met up with Paul & the King at the Barclays Center as the Nets hosted the Knicks in their first meeting of the season. It should be noted that many Knick fans who are priced out of the Garden made their presence felt in Brooklyn. Friday night the King & I went back to the Rock as the King's favorite hockey team, the Detroit Red Wings came to the area to play the Devils. Paul wanted to see Madison Square Garden for the first time so I sold him my ticket for the Knick game. They played the Orlando Magic. Saturday morning Paul joined the King & I as well as our friend Frank Anichiarico aka Duck as we all took Megabus to Philadelphia for the day. We all saw three basketball games. The first one was at the Wells Fargo Center where the Temple Owls were playing the Texas Longhorns at Noon. We wound up meeting up with some friends of ours there. We had Manny Morales & Andrew Van Cleve who brought his son Micah with him. After that game, we went to the Landmark Americana for a late lunch/early dinner. We met up with our pal Frankie Centola who practically lives there when he's not working. It worked out well since we had our second game at Drexel which is right there. The Drexel Dragons played the Tennessee State Tigers at 4PM. After that game, Paul Derrick decided to go to the Palestra to see the University of Penn play Wagner College while the King, Frank & I went back to the Wells Fargo Center to see the 76ers play the Denver Nuggets. After the games, we all met up near Drexel because Megabus is located a few blocks from there. It worked out well as we all got to do what we set out to do. Sunday afternoon Paul joined the King & I as we went into Midtown Manhattan & we met up with our friend Larry Peim who drove us all out to MetLife Stadium where we saw the Jets play the Oakland Raiders. Our pal Eddie Pelle joined us too. After the game, I went back into Manhattan so I could go to see the Rangers play the Washington Capitals that night. The King wound up going with Eddie & Paul to see Rutgers play basketball against the Pirates of Seton Hall instead. 

The week of 12/9 started with a night off. It should be noted that Paul who stayed with the King & I while he visited got up very early so he could catch his flight back to Houston, Texas where he lives. Tuesday night the King & I went to the Barclays Center to see the Nets host the Boston Celtics who they made the big off season trade with that brought Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce & Jason Terry to Brooklyn. Wednesday night we went to the Transformed Garden to see the Knicks play the Chicago Bulls who lost their star guard Derrick Rose again for the season thanks to another knee injury. Thursday night we went back to the Barclays Center as the Nets took on the Los Angeles Clippers. After having a rare Friday night off, I went to the Hynes Athletic Center in New Rochelle Saturday afternoon where I saw my first game at Iona. The Gaels as they're called played the Bonnies of St. Bonaventure which is located in Upstate NY near Buffalo in Olean, New York. After that game, I went out to Newark, NJ & I saw the Devils host the Tampa Bay Lightning that night at the Prudential Center. Sunday afternoon the King & I went to MetLife Stadium for a possible Super Bowl preview as the Seattle Seahawks came to play the Giants. They wound up shutting them out, 23-0. After that game, the King & I took NJ Transit back into Penn Station. We went to Brother Jimmy's BBQ for dinner before we went to the Garden to see the Rangers play the Calgary Flames that night. We were joined by my pal Greg Venuto who came down from Norwalk, Connecticut with his buddy Paul Bosler. They were also going to the Ranger game. We all got to enjoy each others company as well as a great southern style meal. 

The week of 12/16 started off well as I wound up meeting up with my friends Peter & Carmen Agnew from Baltimore who came to NYC to visit for a week. They had bought tickets for the Knick game that Monday night through the Manhattan Club where they stay when they come to visit. Ironically the Washington Wizards were playing the Knicks that night so it was an added bonus for them. We wound up meeting up for dinner at the La Parisienne Restaurant then we all went to the Garden together. It was great to see them again. Tuesday night I returned to the Garden this time for the Jimmy V Classic as the Pittsburgh Panthers played the Cincinnati Bearcats in the first game of the doubleheader which was followed by the Florida Gators who took on the Memphis Tigers. I was joined my pal, Frank Anichiarico. Wednesday night my boss took my co-workers & I out for a holiday dinner after work at il vagabondo. Thursday night after work I had a company Christmas party in the building where we work. Friday night I went out to Newark, NJ to see the Devils play the Anaheim Ducks at the Prudential Center.

Eric Hasseltine
Saturday the King & I went to the Transformed Garden as the Knicks hosted the Memphis Grizzlies at Noon. I got to see my pal Eric Hasseltine who called the game along with my other pal Elliot Perry aka Socks. It was great to see them again. We got to catch up before they went on the air. I listen online to Eric on ESPN Radio 929 when I'm at work. He has a sports talk show that airs 2-4PM Central Time Monday-Friday. He's a great listen. The Grizzlies wound up beating the Knicks. I was so happy for these guys. It's been a rough start for them since the Grizzlies lost their star player Marc Gasol. After the game, the Grizzlies went back home while the King & I went out to the Nassau Coliseum to see the Islanders play the Anaheim Ducks. Sunday we went to MetLife Stadium to see the Jets play the Cleveland Browns in their final home game. After the game, I went to see the Rangers take on the Minnesota Wild that night.

Sojka Pavilion 
Prince at Giant Center


Heinz Field

BMO Harris Bank Center
Wings Stadium
 The week of 12/23 the King & I went to the Barclays Center as the Nets played the Indiana Pacers. After spending Christmas Eve at Donovan's Pub, we returned to Brooklyn where we saw the Nets & Chicago Bulls play on Christmas Day. I did my laundry Thursday night as I prepared for the busy weekend getaway we had. Friday night after work, I went to the Prudential Center to see the Devils & Columbus Blue Jackets with the King. Saturday morning I went to Avis & I rented a car for a week. The King & I wound up driving to see a college basketball game in Bucknell, Pennsylvania. We saw the Bucknell Bison play the Fairfield Stags that afternoon at the Sojka Pavilion. That night we went to Hershey, PA where we saw the Hershey Bears play the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at the Giant Center. After spending the night at Knights Inn in Somerset, PA we drove to Pittsburgh to see the Steelers attempt to keep their slim playoff hopes alive against the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field. The Steelers won but they didn't make the playoffs since the San Diego Chargers won their game. Monday the King & I drove 550 miles to Rockford, Illinois where we saw a minor league hockey game as the Rockford IceHogs hosted the Charlotte Checkers. When we arrived in downtown Rockford, it was barely above zero degrees. We walked over to a local restaurant called the District Bar & Grill. We ate dinner there then we walked a few blocks to the BMO Harris Bank Center, home of the IceHogs. Tuesday we drove to Kalamazoo, Michigan as we closed out 2013 at Wings Stadium, home of the Kalamazoo Wings. They played the Cincinnati Cyclones. With that being said, I finished 2013 with 350 live sporting events. I only had 100 less than the King who ended up with 450.

Stay tuned for a special post that will recap how we spent our New Year's Day to start 2014. In addition, I'll try my best to catch up on my recent whereabouts.

Thank you for reading & following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: