Royalty Tours USA

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Royalty sees outdoor hockey on New Year's Day in Williamsport, Pennsylvania to start 2013!

Prince at Historic Bowman Field
Domish & I stayed at Super 8 in Mansfield, Ohio. We got a good night sleep and we had breakfast at Cracker Barrel again. It was right by the hotel so it was hard to pass up the opportunity to start 2013 off right.

After having another amazing meal, Domish & I headed towards Williamsport, Pennsylvania where we were going to see some outdoor hockey as the Williamsport Outlaws were hosting the 1,000 Islands Privateers at 5:05PM in a Federal Hockey League game at historic Bowman Field which is the home of the Williamsport Crosscutters of the NY-Penn League for baseball.

Originally I was planning to drive back to NYC to see the Knicks play the Portland Trailblazers at 7:30PM until Domish told me about this hockey game. So I did some research before I made my decision. I thought it made sense so I decided to take him up on the idea. Since I know how much he loves hockey, I wanted to accommodate his needs & wants. Thus I alternated my game plan. Domish is a team player. He was kind enough to keep me company at a few basketball games so it was only right for me to cater to him even if it was on short notice.

With that being said, I got to see an outdoor hockey game again on New Year's Day. Thanks to the NHL lockout, the Winter Classic was cancelled. So I did the next best thing and I found an alternative instead.
As for the game we saw, the start of it was delayed because the ice wasn't resurfaced properly after the players warmed up. As a result, the game didn't start until 5:31PM. Thankfully they got the ice fixed and we got to enjoy some hockey on a cold chilly early evening. The temperature was in the mid 20's. We dressed for the occasion so we weren't that uncomfortable.

Williamsport opened the scoring 4:39 into the first period as Chris Leveille put the biscuit in the basket to give the Outlaws a 1-0 lead. The Privateers evened the score at one 8:16 into the opening period. The Outlaws regained the lead 2-1 when they got a power play goal from Matt Smyth. The Privateers got even again with 1:34 left to make it a 2-2 game.

In the second period, the Outlaws scored in the first and last minute of the period to take a 4-2 lead as Trevor Karasiewicz scored 52 seconds in and Chris Leveille added his second of the game with just 14 seconds to go.

In the third period, the Privateers got back within a goal just 1:07 into the period as Kris McCarthy found the net to make it a 4-3 game. Unfortunately for the Privateers, they couldn't force overtime. The Outlaws added an empty net goal with 42 seconds left to preserve the victory, 5-3 in front of an announced crowd of 790 which was a bit of an exaggeration. There were probably a few hundred hearty souls in the building who decided to brave the elements.

It should be noted Domish got to say hello to defenseman Nick Williams who plays for the 1,000 Islands Privateers. He ironically met his parents before he went to Joe Louis Arena on Sunday to see the Great Lakes Invitational Tournament. Domish went to the Lafayette Coney Island restaurant before the game where he started talking to these people. Nick said his parents told him. After the game, Domish & I saw him together as he headed back to the locker room. What a small world.

After the game, Domish & I wound up meeting a special guest who's a huge fan of my blog and my sports travels.

Stay tuned for the special post that I'm going to do about our get together.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman











No comments: