Royalty Tours USA

Monday, January 14, 2013

Royalty w/o 12/31 in review

Prince at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza in Wilkes-Barre, PA
If you're a regular reader and/or follower, you know what happened on Monday New Year's Eve and Tuesday New Year's Day.

As for the rest of the week, here's how it went:

Wednesday before I went back to work I returned the Dodge Avenger I rented for four days from Avis. I wound up driving 1,901 miles safely. 1,195 miles to finish 2012 with 17,745. The other 706 miles counted for 2013. After work I went home and I did my laundry. No rest for the weary I might add.

Thursday night after work I went to Charley's Subs for dinner before I went upstairs to Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks play the San Antonio Spurs who were playing their fourth game in five nights.
As for the game I saw, the Spurs looked like they were sleep walking throughout most of the game. As a result, they managed to lose to the Knicks, 100-83. The Knicks got them at the right time. The schedule makers weren't kind to the Spurs. Tim Duncan and Tony Parker wound up playing half the game and they both only scored 11 points. I was looking forward to seeing a great game. I didn't know at the time the Spurs were coming in exhausted.

As for the Knicks, they took total advantage as they sent the sellout crowd home happy after opening 2013 with a loss to the Trailblazers on New Year's night. Carmelo Anthony led the way scoring 23 points while J.R. Smith added 20 as the Knicks beat the tired Spurs.

Friday night after work, I went to Jersey City, NJ to see St. Peter's basketball as the Peacocks hosted the Manhattan Jaspers at the Yanitelli Center. I stopped off at McDonald's for a pre game meal before I walked over to the gym from Journal Square where the Path train drops you off in Jersey City. When I got to the gym, I was joined by the King and our pal Manny Morales.

As for the game we saw, it was a tight one right throughout. The Jaspers wound up coming away with a 55-53 decision as they held off the Peacocks to emerge victorious much to the delight of our pal Bryan Gilligan who went to college there. Unfortunately he couldn't join us but he was there in spirit nonetheless.
As for the announced crowd of 984, which was probably half of that, the Peacock fans were sent home unhappy.

Saturday morning I went back to Avis to rent another car for the weekend. This time I got a Hyundai Elantra which is great on gas. It's gets close to 35 miles per gallon.

I went back home to pick up the King and we went to Wilkes-Barre,PA to see a minor league hockey game at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza which is the home of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League. They were playing the Worcester Sharks.

Since we got to the area very early, we wound up going shopping at Walmart which is one of the many stores in the huge shopping area that's right up the road from the arena. After we went shopping, we had a nice dinner at Logan's Roadhouse which was practically next to Walmart. After we enjoyed a hearty dinner, we then drove over to the arena.

When we got inside, we decided to sit near center ice in the second level since the crowd was a lot smaller than in years past. They announced a crowd of 5,884 which was a little more than half full. Back in the day, they would sell out with no problem on a Saturday night. Amongst them was our pal Alvin Pachter. He was there with people who invited him to go with them. With that being said, he came over during the game and he spent some time with us. It was nice to see him again. As always, we enjoyed his company.

It should be noted they installed a new scoreboard this season which is a nice addition to this arena. Too bad they don't draw crowds like they used to.

As for the game we saw, the hometown Penguins got a rare win. They've been playing horrible lately Alvin said. On this night, they looked a winning team as they shutout the visiting Worcester Sharks, 3-0.

After the game, the King and I drove a few hours to York, PA where we spent the night at Super 8.

Stay tuned for some special posts that will recap the memorable day we had in Baltimore that Sunday.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman






















No comments: