Royalty Tours USA

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Royalty sees Atlanta Hawks Radio Announcer Steve Holman at MSG!‏

Steve Holman behind the mic


On December 13, 2006 when the Atlanta Hawks came to Madison Square Garden I got to meet and greet a broadcasting legend from Atlanta. His name is Steve Holman.

Steve is a great guy who I always say hello to when I see the Hawks play.

Over the years, I've seen him in a number of places such as the IZOD Center when the Nets played there, Philadelphia, Boston and Cleveland too.

He has been the voice of the Hawks for a very long time. In matter of fact, this is his 26th season behind the mic.

He has broadcast over 1,800 consecutive Hawks games including the playoffs which the Hawks have rarely made until the last few years. This streak started way back in March of 1989.

These days he does the games solo. In years past, he worked with Hawk legend Dominique Wilkins aka the human highlight film and Dennis Scott, both former NBA players.

Dennis Scott aka 3D as he was known in his playing days because of his great three point shooting ability was always a great guy to talk basketball with when I saw Steve.

Steve has suffered through many years of horrible basketball down in Atlanta. It wasn't until they acquired Mike Bibby from the Sacramento Kings that they have finally turned things around.

Bibby arrived just before I saw the Hawks play the Celtics in Boston on March 2, 2008.

Since then the Hawks have become a much improved team.

Despite their 34-20 record when they came to the Garden last week, Steve said and I quote "they should have a better record than that."

Steve knows best he sees them play every game. I'm happy for him that he has a better team to work for these days.

I hope someday the Hawks can rise up and win a championship so Steve can have the privilege and honor of calling it.

Keep up the great work, Steve. I'll see you again somewhere when I see the Hawks play.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: