Royalty Tours USA

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Royalty w/o 1/16 in review

Nuggets win in double overtime, 119-114
Upon returning from Baltimore at midnight Sunday night, I had to get up earlier than the King and Steve Fekete aka the Padre Punk who stayed over with us because I had to return the car I rented to Avis by 10AM Monday morning.

Thankfully I didn't have to go to work so to speak because it was Martin Luther King Day.

I did so successfully as I safely drove 897 miles over the weekend. I might add the King was amazed how I was able to handle all the driving by myself despite getting so little sleep. He raved to people we know how I was a machine behind the wheel. I appreciate the kind words. I plan ahead so I'm ready to handle the task at hand. With plenty of years experience, I was able to follow through on my game plan which was executed perfectly.

After I returned the car, I went to the Omega diner near where I used to live to have breakfast before I took public transportation out to the Nassau Coliseum to see the Islanders play the Nashville Predators that afternoon.

As for the Steve and the King, I arranged for them to meet our friend Larry Peim who picked them up in Astoria and he drove them out there. Our friend Frank Anichiarico also went with them.

Everything worked out beautifully for all of us.

As for the game we saw, the Islanders looked like they were sleeping walking on the ice. They fell behind 3-0 in the first period. That proved to be the game in a nutshell. They scored a goal late to break the shutout as they lost, 3-1.

After the game, Larry was kind enough to not only drive us home but he took Steve to the airport too. Since Steve's flight wasn't leaving until 9:35PM. We decided to go to the Apollo diner which is located in East Meadow, a few miles from the Nassau Coliseum to have dinner since we were all hungry. Needless to say, the food was tremendous as was the company. A royal gathering indeed. Steve got plenty of royal treatment during his brief visit to the Northeast.

Tuesday after work I went out to the Prudential Center in Newark to see the Devils play the new Winnipeg Jets. The one and only time I saw these two teams play was back in early December in Winnipeg. That night the Jets beat the Devils, 4-2. On this night, the Devils returned the favor as they whipped the Jets, 5-1.

Wednesday night after work I went to Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks host the Phoenix Suns. It turned out to be a lower scoring game then I had anticipated. The Suns were lead by their great point guard Steve Nash who guided them to a 91-88 victory.

Thursday night after work I went back to Newark to see the Devils play the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins for the second time in 15 days.

This time I arranged to have my Cousin Andy join the King and I for the festivities. My Cousin wasn't feeling well but he still managed to enjoy himself. He always loves to see us and we made sure he wasn't disappointed. In addition, my pal Vincent Ascanio was there as well.

As for the game we saw, the Devils looked good for the first two periods as they had a 1-0 lead. In the third period, the Bruins came to play. They crashed the net and they scored two goals in less than a minute to take the lead early on in the period. They continued to apply the pressure as they added a few more goals to beat the Devils again, 4-1.

Friday night after work I went back to Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks play the Milwaukee Bucks. It turned out to be another nightmare for the Knicks as Brandon Jennings of the Bucks lead the way as the Bucks got passed the Knicks, 100-86.

Saturday afternoon I was going to stay home and catch up on things but my buddy Vincent Ascanio told me he had an extra ticket for the St. John's/Villanova game at the Garden so I decided to take him up on it. He actually gave me the ticket which was very nice of him. Royal treatment indeed.
The King went out to Newark to see the Devils play the Philadelphia Flyers. I gave my ticket to our friend Frankie Centola from Philadelphia who needed it for someone he knew. For all the times he's helped us out, it was nice to return the favor.

As for the game I saw with Vincent, St. John's blew a 10 point lead with just under six minutes to go in regulation. The game wound up going into overtime. The Wildcats of Villanova pulled away as they topped the Red Storm of St. John's, 79-76.

After the game, I went shopping and then I ate dinner at home before I went back to the Garden for the night cap of my basketball doubleheader.

The Knicks were playing again. This time against the Denver Nuggets who they made the big trade with last February to get Carmelo Anthony.

Former Knicks Danilo Gallanari, Al Harrington and Timofey Mozgov all shined in their return to the Garden as the Nuggets outlasted the Knicks, 119-114 in double overtime. What a game it was.

Stay tuned for the special post I'm going to do regarding my return to Foxboro and the AFC Championship Game.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: