Royalty Tours USA

Friday, September 28, 2012

Prince takes in a local two sport doubleheader with royal company!

Columbia wins, 10-9!
On Saturday September 15th, I woke up early so I could do my laundry before I continued my busy day.
Once I got done, I came back home fast and I went back out to see a local two sport doubleheader.

I wound up taking the subway up to Upper Manhattan where I met up with Vincent Ascanio who ironically was on the same train as me but he was in a different car. We met on the platform as we were both going to see a college football game at Robert K. Kraft Field at Lawrence A. Wien Stadium, which is the home of the Columbia Lions in the Ivy League. They were playing the Red Foxes of Marist on this day. We were joined by our pal and royal follower, Manny Morales who was in the house. This was his kind of game. It was a battle between two bad teams. He lives for these kind of match ups.

As for the game we saw, it lived up to billing. This was the Lions' first game of the season. Marist already had played two games which they wound up splitting.

Marist drew first blood in this one as their kicker and punter Jason Myers kicked a 28 yard field goal with 3:26 left in the first quarter to take the early lead, 3-0. It stayed that way until the third quarter. With 9:53 left in the third, Marcorus Garrett, the running back for the Lions who had a busy day carrying the ball thirty times for 115 yards, found the end zone as he ran in the game's first touchdown from a yard out to give the Lions a 7-3 lead. The Lions got the ball back quickly as they forced Marist to punt from deep in their own territory. The Lions caught a huge break when Red Foxes' Jason Myers took a low snap and his knee hit the ground while he was trying to kick. As a result, the Lions took over at the Red Foxes' 4 yard line. Marist wound up minimizing the damage as they were fortunate to give up just a field goal that extended the Lions' lead to 10-3 with 8:14 left in the third quarter. With 6:30 left in the fourth quarter, Marist scored a touchdown to make the score 10-9 with the extra point pending. Luckily for us they failed to get it because Jason Myers had the kick blocked. So the score remained 10-9 Lions. We didn't need the game to go into overtime so in that regard it was nice to see it end by that same score. It was the Lions' first win of the season.

As for Vincent, Manny and I we all raced out of the Stadium so we could get to the Bronx for game two of the day at Yankee Stadium. We all got on the subway and we made it there barely on time as the MTA did their best to derail our game plan.

As for the Yankee game we saw, they were playing the Tampa Bay Rays again. This time the Yankees beat the Rays as Ivan Nova pitched well for six innings allowing just two runs. Big Game James Shields gave up back to back homers in the second inning to Curtis Granderson who hit a two run homer which was followed by a blast by Eduardo Nunez which gave the Yankees an early 3-0 lead. They tacked on another run off Shields in the fifth inning as Captain Clutch delivered a big two out hit to help the Yankees hold off the Rays, 5-3.

After the game, I went home to have dinner and I was able to rest and relax the rest of the night.

Stay tuned for the special post that will recap the way I spent my Sunday afternoon.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: