Royalty Tours USA

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Royalty spent weekend in middle of September watching Mets play Marlins at Citi Field!

On Thursday September 12th after work I came home & I relaxed for a change. By doing so I was able to prepare for the busy weekend I had planned at Citi Field.

Friday night after work I stopped off at Taste of Dolly's for some pizza before I returned to Citi Field as the Mets opened a four game weekend series with the Miami Marlins. Thanks to a rain out back in June, the Saturday game was rescheduled as a single admission doubleheader.

When I arrived at Citi Field Friday night I saw my pal Sam Citron who greeted me at the Rotunda entrance. When I got upstairs I was joined by David Sack, Frank Anichiarico, Vincent Ascanio, Charlie O'Reilly, Al Linderman, Pat Gorman & Alan Gimpel who were also present & accounted for.

As for the game we saw, the Mets got a rare power surge as Andrew Brown hit a solo homer in the second inning & Lucas Duda added what proved to be the game winner as he hit a three run blast in the sixth inning as the Mets held off the Marlins, 4-3 to take game one. Jonathon Niese picked up the victory despite giving up two solo homers to Giancarlo Stanton, one in the second inning & other in the seventh.
After the game, Bryan Gilligan, the King, Frank Anichiarico & I went to Donovan's Pub for a post game meal.

Saturday afternoon I returned to Citi Field for a rare single admission doubleheader. I arranged to get my Cousin Andy a ticket so he could join me for the twinbill. I met him outside by the Apple. It was great to see him again. We always enjoy each other's company. When we got to our seats upstairs, we had plenty of company as Frank Anichiarico, Pat Gorman, Michael Abrams, Alan Gimpel, Al Linderman, Manny Morales, Marc Beck, Phil Butleman, David Sack, Michael Carson & Michael Chin were there as well.
As for the games we saw that day, the Marlins got seven shutout innings from their starting pitcher Henderson Alvarez who shut the Mets down in game one. The Marlins went to win, 3-0. In the night cap, the Mets got a solid pitching performance from Dice K who allowed just one run in seven innings of work as he picked up his first win as a Met. The Mets got back to back home runs from Daniel Murphy & Lucas Duda as they took game two, 3-1.

Sunday afternoon I passed up the possibility of going to see the Giants play the Broncos in the latest Manning Bowl. I remember going to the first one at Giants Stadium when Peyton Manning played for the Indianapolis Colts. This time I decided to take the more affordable way out so I returned to Citi Field for the finale of the Mets and Marlins weekend series.

Besides the King & I, company was few & far between as we had Alan Gimpel & Pat Gorman there for the festivities.

As for the game we saw, it was scoreless until the bottom of the 12th inning when rookie Travis d'Arnaud became a hero as he delivered the game winning hit to give the Mets a 1-0 win over the Marlins. In the process, we got to see Vic Black of the Mets get his first major league win. He pitched a scoreless 12th inning as he got credit for the victory as the Mets won three out of the four games.

Stay tuned for my w/o 9/16 in review as I continue to play catch up slowly but surely.

Thank you for reading & following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: