Royalty Tours USA

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Royalty w/o 7/29 in review

Monday morning I woke up early so I could return the car I rented from Avis for the weekend before I went to work. I wound up driving 591 miles safely.

After work, I wound up taking a ride out to Coney Island when I found out the game I planned to see in Staten Island that night was changed to a 4PM doubleheader because they got rained out on Sunday afternoon. As a true professional, I adjusted to the circumstances at the last minute. It worked out well as I stopped off at Subway for a sandwich on my way to MCU Park, home of the Brooklyn Cyclones. They were hosting the Hudson Valley Renegades that night. I was joined by some friends, Michael Abrams, Pat Gorman & Domish. It was nice to spend the evening with them.

As for the game we saw, the Cyclones won, 4-0. They got a solo home run from first baseman Matt Oberste in the second inning to go up, 1-0. They tacked on two more runs in the fourth inning and one more in the fifth as they cruised to the shutout victory.

As for the King, he was on the road with our pal Vincent Ascanio for the week since there was no local baseball until Friday in the area.

With that being said, I had a mini All Star break for myself. I decided to use the free time wisely.

Tuesday night I came home after work. I made dinner then I went around the block & I did my laundry.

Wednesday & Thursday night I came home after work. I made dinner, relaxed and I was able to relive my All Star game memories by writing about them here.

Friday night after work I went to Taste of Dolly's on my way to Citi Field. It should be noted that during the day I got an e-mail from my pal Bob Kelly who said he's going to the Met game since he was in town on business. I told him I'll see him there. I did indeed. As always, it was great to see him again.

In addition, I had another special guest, Chris Coats aka KC Superfan came in special from Kansas City to see his Royals play the Mets for the weekend. I wound up meeting him on the Q48 bus that he took from LaGuardia airport because his flight got delayed so he got in later than he expected. He was planning to join me for dinner. Ironically I barely caught the bus he was on by Taste of Dolly's. Luckily I was able to time it right since the train ride I took was longer than normal. As a result, we took the bus to Citi Field together. As we were walking towards the Rotunda gate, we ran into the King and our friend Frank Anichiarico who were getting ready to head inside the ballpark. What timing that was. We all proceeded to go in together as we saw our pal Sam Citron. I introduced Chris cape and all to Sam. Since Sam is an avid reader of my blog & he loves to meet some of the people I know and write about. He was so happy to see us all again.
When we finally got up to the Royal Court in section 516 we were also joined by Bob Kelly who was up there waiting for us, Pat Gorman, Alan Gimpel, Al Linderman & Martin Caamano.

As for the game we saw, it was another long one. Thankfully Eric Young Jr. ended it with a two run game winning home run in the 11th inning. The Mets couldn't hold the 2-0 lead they had courtesy of David Wright who hit a two run homer in the first inning to support starter Dillon Gee who allowed a run in seven plus innings of work. The Mets' bullpen sprung a leak as they let the Royals tie the game in the top of the ninth inning thanks to a Lorenzo Cain sacrifice fly.

Despite the long game, the King, Chris Coats & I went to Donovan's Pub where we met up with Charlie, the King's brother for a late post game meal. Chris really enjoyed it. With that being said, I'm glad he got to go there with us.

Saturday morning I got up early so I could get my haircut in preparation for my West Coast trip that was coming up.

Chris Coats & I at Citi Field
In the afternoon, the King, Chris Coats who stayed over with us & I went back to Citi Field for game two for the series between the Mets and the Royals.

Of course, Chris was hoping for a different result on this day. This time the Mets lead early 1-0, the Royals came back with three runs to take the lead in the third inning. In the bottom of the eighth the Mets rallied to tie the game at three thanks to a two run single by Josh Satin. The game also went into extra innings. This time Chris got his way as Justin Maxwell who was recently acquired from the Houston Astros hit a pinch hit game winning home run in the 12th inning to give the Royals a 4-3 win.

As a result, we altered our second game plans. We were going to go to New Britain, Connecticut to see the Rock Cats play. But since the Met game went so long we decided to go to Dutchess Stadium in Fishkill, New York in the Hudson Valley near Poughkeepsie instead. That decision worked out since we were able to get to the game on time. The King drove Vincent Ascanio & I there. As for Chris Coats, he decided to go to see Beyonce in concert at the Barclays Center. We wound up meeting him at the house after the game. It turned out well for all of us.

As for the game we saw, the Hudson Valley Renegades lost to the visiting Auburn Doubledays, 4-3 in 13 innings after both teams blew some chances in the extra innings. Third baseman Cody Gunter finally ended the suspense with a single to right to win it for the Doubledays.

Stay tuned for another special post that I'm going to write about the major league doubleheader we saw that Sunday.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: