Royalty Tours USA

Friday, April 27, 2012

Royalty w/o 4/16 in review

RJ's view from the Front Row at Citi Field 

Monday night after getting back from Boston with time to spare, we saw the Yankees open a four game series with the Minnesota Twins.

After making my royal entrance into the Stadium, I went up to the royal box if you will to see the game.
As for the game we saw, the Twins got on the board early as they scored twice in their first at bat. The Yankees answered with three of their own in their half of the first as Derek Jeter hit a lead off homer and Curtis Granderson followed with one of his own. Mark Teixeira added a run scoring single. The score stayed that way until the fifth inning when the Twins re took the lead, 4-3. They tacked on another run in the sixth on a Justin Morneau solo homer and added two more in the eighth as they went on to beat the Yankees, 7-3. It was a big win for the Twins because coming to the Bronx is usually a house of horrors for them regardless of what stadium it is new or old.

Tuesday I went back to work. After work I went back to the Bronx for game two of the four game set. I was joined by my co-worker Steve Orefice who had tickets for the game. Since he wanted to take part in the royal experience again, we stopped off at the Court Deli Restaurant and got sandwiches to bring into the Stadium.

Steve's a Yankee fan so he picked the right night to go to a game as the Yankees rebounded to beat the Twins this night, 8-3. CC Sabathia, the ace of the staff worked into the eighth inning to pick up the win. It should be noted early in the game, Denard Span got ejected from the game after he didn't agree with a strike call on the very first pitch he saw. Manager Ron Gardenhire also got tossed defending his player.

Wednesday night after work, I returned to the Bronx for some more baseball.

As for the game, the Yankees came up on the short end of the stick on the scoreboard despite a solo home run by Derek Jeter in the ninth inning as they lost the game, 6-5.

Thursday night after work, I went back for the finale of the series. It was also my 3,800th Major League game I've attended live in person.

As for the game I saw, it was very memorable for me in more ways than one as Curtis Granderson went five for five which included home runs in his first three at bats as the Yankees hung on to split the series with the Twins by a score of 7-6.

Friday night after work, I went to Citi Field as the Mets returned home to take on the San Francisco Giants in a four game wraparound series.

As the Mets do after the third inning of every home game, they salute our returning Veterans with the Welcome Back Veterans program. On this night, they honored a young man who's in the midst of living his baseball dream as he continues his journey to see every Major League ballpark. I'm referring to RJ Breisacher who I met at Yankee Stadium on Jackie Robinson Day. He got to sit in the first row with his friend Melissa who was visiting him while she was visiting NYC.

As for the game, the Mets fell behind 3-0. They clawed their way back to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth inning only to fall in the tenth inning as they lost, 4-3 as Hector Sanchez delivered the game winning hit. The Mets blew chances to win the game.

After the game, the King and our friends Frank Anichiarico and Bryan Gilligan went to Donovan's Pub for a post game meal.

Saturday morning I did my laundry before I returned to Citi Field in the afternoon to see game two of the four game set.

I was joined by my pal Vincent Ascanio who's a regular at the ballpark. We also had Bryan Gilligan on hand as well as Manny Morales and Marc Beck which enhanced the royal experience.

As for the game we saw, the Mets wound up winning in the bottom of the ninth, 5-4 after they blew a three run lead in the top of the ninth. Thanks to a throwing error by Giants' catcher Buster Posey, the Mets' walked off with the victory.

As for the King, Bryan Gilligan and I we ran out of the ballpark so we could go to another game. Bryan was nice enough to drive the King and I a hundred miles to New Britain, Connecticut where we saw the New Britain Rock Cats, the Minnesota Twins' Double A affiliate in the Eastern League. They were playing the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, the Toronto Blue Jays farm club who we saw play in Trenton, NJ a few weeks ago.

As for the game we saw, the Rock Cats won, 4-1.

Sunday thanks to mother nature I got a much needed day off as the Met game against the Giants got rained out.

As a result, I was able to catch up on things at home.

On that note, another royal week of stadium travel in the books.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: