Royalty Tours USA

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Royalty finally sees the Kansas State Wildcats win!

Dot and I
After the volleyball game we saw, we walked back to Dot's car and we had a little tailgate party. She brought burgers and hot dogs and we cooked them and we ate.

After eating, we headed over to the Bill Snyder Family Stadium, home of the K-State Wildcats.
Thanks to Scott Garrett, the assistant athletic director who arranged to get me a $10 ticket for the game which was right next to Dot's in section 8 row 45.

I want to personally thank Scott for being so accomodating. That turned out to be a very wise decision since the game was sold out. Dot said she hadn't seen the stadium that full in a few years. All the benches were filled up with people all dressed up in purple. The fans brought their pride and passion with them.

It was a great experience for me finally getting the Wildcat off my back.

I've seen the Wildcats on the road back in October 2002 in Boulder, Colorado but they lost to the Buffaloes that day in an exciting game, 35-31. More recently at Yankee Stadium I was at the Pinstripe Bowl that Dorothy and her Mom came in for last December and they fell short to Syracuse, 36-28.

This time they were playing the Eastern Kentucky Colonels at home. The question was with me in the house would they be able to "pop" the colonels.

For most of the game it looked dim. The game was scoreless into the third quarter. The Colonels finally got on the scoreboard to take a 7-0 lead. The Wildcats cut the lead to 7-3. Despite committing five turnovers the Wildcats put themselves in position to win the game. They wound up scoring a touchdown with 1:39 left to take the lead at 10-7. They wound up holding on for the slim victory as I escaped Manhattan with a W.

It was a thrill to be there. In matter of fact, we wound up sitting by some young people. One of which was a young man named Josh Allen. Josh and I spoke during the game and he said he's been a football Giant fan since he was 4 years old. I hope he gets to come to NYC some day so I can arrange to take him to a Giant game. He goes to school in Minnesota at a school called Bethany he said.

Stay tuned as the next installment of my heartland getaway continues.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: