Royalty Tours USA

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Royalty w/o 8/20 in review

Mets win, 2-1!
Monday after work I went to Checker's for dinner on my way to Citi Field to see the Mets open a four game series with the Colorado Rockies who were making their only visit to Queens this year.

Upon arrival at the Rotunda entrance I was greeted by my pal Sam Citron. He always puts me in a good mood when I see him. He told me how much he loves reading my blog. It's rewarding to hear him speak so highly of writing ability. He said he loves how I go into such detail when I recap my whereabouts. I greatly appreciate his kind words.

After speaking with him briefly, I proceeded into the ballpark. I went up to section 516 near the top which was empty so I could take in the nice breeze that blows through. I was joined by David Sack, Phil Butleman and Vincent Ascanio as well as the King.

As for the game we saw, R.A. Dickey started for the Mets and he pitched well. He went seven innings allowing just a solo homer to Tyler Colvin in the fifth inning which tied the game at one after the Mets scored first in the first inning to take an early 1-0 lead. The Rockies wound up taking the lead in the eighth inning on a passed ball. They added an insurance run in the ninth as they went on to beat the Mets, 3-1.

Tuesday night after work I went back to Citi Field for game two. This time I stopped off at Taste of Dolly's for my pre game meal. When I finished I got back on the 7 train for one stop.

As for the game I saw, the Mets hung tough until the sixth inning. That's when the road got "rockie" for them. They gave up four runs thanks to a costly throwing error by Chris Young which ultimately cost them the game as they lost again to the Rockies, 6-2.

Wednesday night after work I went to Subway for dinner and then while I was there I got Carvel for dessert on my way back to Citi Field for more punishment.

When I got into the ballpark, I arrived just in time to see some employees get honored on the field. In particular, I saw Rose Hussey, who I know. She was recognized for the great customer service that she has provided over the past 26 years. I've seen her numerous times from going to Shea Stadium and now Citi Field. She always makes going to the game worth while. She's always sincere and personable to everyone she sees. I was so happy to see her get acknowledged by the Mets for being such an asset to the organization. They finally did something right for a change.

After spending some time on the field level, I went up to section 516 so I could get ready to watch the game. Despite the Mets inability to beat the Rockies the first two games, I thought there was some hope because rookie Matt Harvey was starting for the Mets. I was right he pitched well for six innings. He allowed just one run and he struck out nine before he left the game that was tied at one. Once he left, the game took a turn for the worst as the bullpen imploded. Ramon Ramirez and Frank Francisco both gave up a pair of runs as the Mets fell again to the Rockies, 5-2.

Thursday night after work I came home so I could do my laundry. I was able to rest up for a short time too which was nice for a change.

Friday night after work I went back to Taste of Dolly's for a few slices of pizza before I returned to Citi Field to see the Mets host the Houston Astros on Merengue night. As part of the festivities, the Mets wore special royal blue jerseys that said Los Mets across the chest.

On this night, the King and I were joined by Bryan Gilligan and Frank Anichiarico.

As for the game we saw, the Mets couldn't do much on offense. They scored their only run thanks to a solo homer by David Wright who hit his 200th major league home run. Jonathon Niese pitched well allowing just three runs in seven innings. Jordan Lyles pitched better giving up the one run in six innings as the Astros emerged victorious, 3-1.

After the game we all went to Donovan's Pub to enjoy a post game meal which helped us forgot about the horrible performance we saw by the Mets.

Saturday morning I went to Avis to rent a car for the day so I could drive to Philadelphia to see the Phillies play the Nationals after the Met game with Bryan Gilligan, Frank Anichiarico and the King.

After I rented the car I went to Citi Field to see the Mets play the Astros in game two of the three game series. It was Mike Piazza Bobblehead day.

I got my bobblehead doll when I went in. Once I got up to the top of section 516, I was greeted by Steve Tepperman who was there. He came with an old scorecard from UCLA back in 2002 when current Astro and former Bruin Ben Francisco was on the cover. The King and I met Ben Francisco when we were in Alaska back in July 2001. We saw him on a one day cruise. He had a day off from playing in the Alaskan League. We also saw him play for UCLA in Hawaii in February 2002. We saw him play in the minor leagues on a few occasions and a number of times as he tries to stay in the major leagues.

Manny Morales was also at the game since he has a Saturday plan which includes majority of the Saturday games and this one was one of them.

Furthermore, during the game, I got a visit from Bob Deal, another ballpark chaser who came down from Albany to see the game. We got to catch up since we last met up at the end of May. It was nice to see him again.

As for the game we saw, the Mets behind R.A. Dickey beat the Astros 3-1 as he earned his 16th win of the season.

After the game, I drove us to Philadelphia. We arrived around 6:25PM which gave us plenty of time to make the first pitch as the Phillies hosted the Washington Nationals. We had a great pitching match up as my boy Gio Gonzalez was pitching against Roy Halladay.

Unfortunately for Gio, Roy Halladay pitched better. After struggling in the first inning, Gio settled in and pitched well until the fifth inning when he got in and out of trouble again. With the game tied at two heading to the sixth inning, John Mayberry Jr. lead off the sixth inning with a solo homer which prove to be the difference as the Phillies beat the Nationals and Gio, 4-2.

After the game, I drove us back home. We all had a good time in the City of Brotherly Love.

Sunday morning I returned the car I rented to Avis then I went back to Citi Field for the rubber game of the Mets and the Astros. I met up with my Cousin Andy and my pal Mike Carroll as well the King.
We got to enjoy each other's company again. It was nice to see them.

As for the game we saw, the Mets held a 1-0 lead until the ninth inning as starter Jeremy Hefner pitched great for eight plus innings before he was taken out. Robert Carson got the only batter he faced out. Bobby Parnell then came in to try and keep the game tied at one in the ninth. He gave up a hit to Ben Francisco which almost gave the Astros the lead but the runner Justin Maxwell was gunned down at the plate by Lucas Duda in left field. Parnell worked his way out of the inning. In the bottom of the ninth, Ike Davis delivered his second homer of the game that ended it as the Mets won the game and the series, 2-1.

After the game, my Cousin Andy and Mike Carroll and I all went out to Met Life Stadium to see the Jets play Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers in preseason football. I decided to go that way I would spend more quality time with my Cousin.

As for the game we saw, the Jets failed to score a touchdown for the third straight exhibition game. Mark Sanchez played into the middle of the third quarter before he gave way to Tim Tebow. Sanchez looked pretty good. Unfortunately for him some of his receivers dropped passes and he had a pass deflected that was intercepted. As for Tim Tebow, he almost won the game for the Jets with his ability to make things happen. He did have an impressive 20 yard run where he made defenders miss as he got a big first down to keep a drive alive late in the game. In the end, the Jets came up short as they lost, 17-12.

With that another week of sports travel is in the books. It was an eventful week to say the least.

Thank you for reading and following.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: