Royalty Tours USA

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Royalty goes to see AHL hockey in Hershey, PA!

Prince at Giant Center
After spending Saturday afternoon in Villanova, the King and I passed through Lancaster, Pennsylvania which is known as for its Amish population. More importantly, my parents live there.

We did stop off at McDonald's for a fast dinner in Lancaster on Route 30 before we continued on to Hershey, Pennsylvania which is called the sweetest place on earth. It's a great place for tourists to visit. They have different attractions such Chocolate World where chocolate is made. In addition, there's HersheyPark, which is an amusement park for people of all ages.

Since we decided to avoid the toll roads, we got to experience the local flavor of the Eastern part of the Keystone state by driving through different country areas which is quite a contrast from the city life we usually deal with day in and day out. A change of scenery is always a welcomed sight. That's why we love to go away.

After dealing with some local traffic along the way, we arrived at the Giant Center, which is the home of the Hershey Bears, the minor league affiliate of the Washington Capitals in the American Hockey League at 6:45PM. We parked the car in the parking lot and we walked over to the arena. Shortly thereafter we rounded up tickets then we went inside to see some hockey.

The Hershey Bears were playing the St. John's IceCaps who are the Winnipeg Jets' farm club. It should be noted that the Bears are celebrating their 75th Anniversary this season.

As for the game we saw, after a scoreless first period, the IceCaps finally broke through 5:19 into the second period as right winger Eric O'Dell lit the lamp to give the IceCaps a 1-0 lead. The Bears got the equalizer late in the period as left winger Barry Almeida scored with 1:14 left in the period to tie the game at a goal a piece.

In the third period, the IceCaps took advantage of a four minute power play as they scored the go ahead and eventual game winner with 13:04 left in the game as defenseman Derek Meech buried the puck in the net which gave the visiting IceCaps a 2-1 victory.

After the game, we drove back to Lancaster where we stayed over with my parents. We stayed up a few hours talking and catching up with them. I want to personally thank them for putting us up for the night.
Sunday morning after getting a good night sleep, we enjoyed a nice home cooked breakfast.

After we ate, we made our way back towards home. On the way back, we made a pit stop in Philadelphia for some football before we came home.

Stay tuned for the special post that will go into detail regarding the way we spent the rest of our Sunday.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: