Royalty Tours USA

Friday, November 23, 2012

Royalty sees the Knicks play the Grizzlies in Memphis!

Me Outside the FedEX Forum
Friday morning the King and I flew to St. Louis for the weekend. Upon arrival, I rented a car from Hertz for the weekend. I didn't like the car they gave in the Hertz Gold stall so I told the young lady I needed a car with a trunk. She told me to take a Toyota Camry or a Chevy Cruze. I decided to go with the Camry which was a nice upgrade to the car they were going to give me.

Once we pulled out of the Hertz lot, I noticed a place to eat called the Golden Pancake Family restaurant. I was hungry so I went in to eat. The King wasn't hungry so he stayed in the car. I had some bacon, sausage, eggs and pancakes for breakfast. It was very good. It set the tone for another great weekend getaway.
After I ate, I got back in to the car and we drove towards Memphis, Tennessee. On the way there, we stopped off at Super 8 in Cape Girardeau and we were able to check in early. It worked out well. We were able to drop off our bags and we relaxed for a short time before we continued on to Memphis.

We finally arrived in Memphis shortly after 6PM local time. We parked the car on the street within walking distance from Beale Street which is where the FedEx Forum home of the Grizzlies is located.

This was our first game there since our only other visit back on November 12, 2004 when we saw the Grizzlies play the Golden State Warriors.

Before we went inside, we took a stroll up and down the legendary strip of restaurants and entertainment on Beale Street. We decided to go into a place called Pig on Beale for a pre game dinner. Their slogan is its pork with an attitude. I had a ribs sampler which consisted of ribs, pulled pork and a smoked chicken thigh. The King had some ribs. It turned out to be a good choice. Once we were done, we went inside the arena so we could refresh our memories about the FedEx Forum.

Before the game, I was able to catch up with my pal Eric Hasseltine, he's the radio announcer for the Grizzlies. Stay tuned for the special post I'm going to do about our latest get together.
As for the game we saw, the Grizzlies came in with a six game winning streak. For that matter so did the Knicks. With that being said, one streak was going to end.

After the first quarter, the Grizzlies took a 29-25 lead. At halftime, they continued to lead, 54-49. In the third quarter, the Grizzlies pulled away from the Knicks as they extended their lead to 18, 85-67 after three quarters. In the fourth quarter, the Knicks cut the lead down but they weren't able to overcome the Grizzlies who went on to win their seventh straight game as the Knicks suffered their first loss of the young season.
Marc Gasol of the Grizzlies lead all scorers with 24 points but it was his teammate and former Knick Zach Randolph who was a force throughout the game. He scored 20 and he added 15 rebounds to carry the Grizzlies to the victory.

As for the Knicks, Carmelo Anthony paced them with 20 points in the losing effort after he had only nine the night before in San Antonio.

After the game, we drove back to Cape Girardeau, Missouri where we spent the night.

Stay tuned for the special post I'm going to be as our journey continued in Columbia, Missouri.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman













No comments: