Royalty Tours USA

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Outdoor Classic Weekend Getaway in Review

Another weekend came and went, unlike most people royalty spent it wisely. Before going to work on Friday morning, I walked a mile and a half with a few bags in hand to pick up a car rental from Avis for the weekend.

I do have a car but it's rather old and I prefer to use it locally to get around. So I rent cars all the time since I rather go in style and I don't want to have any problems getting where I want to go.

With that being said, this time I rented a Pontiac G6 equipped with satellite radio, XM. That was an added bonus. Actually Neil who works there treats me well because I rent cars from them all the time, knows my preferences. So like the good guy he is he accomodated my needs and wants. Needless to say, I'm very grateful for the added value I received. I got the car at 7:09AM for the record.


First order of business was to get to work on time. I drove the car to the subway in Queens by 111th Street where I can pick up the 7 train. I found a parking spot on the right side of the street because they have alternate side parking over there on Thursdays and Fridays. I took the 7 train to Queensboro Plaza and connected with the N train. Thankfully I did get to work on time at 8:30AM.

After putting in a full day at the office, I went back to pick up the car. I left the office at 5:30PM in Midtown Manhattan. I got some rare great service from the MTA which is exactly what I needed.

I wound up getting into the car at 6:02PM. I had to pick up the King and our friend Larry Peim along the way out to the Meadowlands where we were seeing the NJ Nets play the Toronto Raptors at 8PM.

After a pit stop at Burger King which we wound up taking out because we were pressed for time, we parked the car for free at 7:37PM. After a short walk over to the arena we were in the building at 7:50PM. That gave us plenty of time to get situated for the 8:12PM opening tip.

After the game, we got back into the car and headed towards Syracuse, NY. We drove halfway there and stayed over in Days Inn located in Dunmore, PA. I planned to arrive there around 1AM. Sure enough, we parked the car at the hotel at 12:55AM. We checked in.


We woke up Saturday morning and had a nice continental breakfast to start our day. We got back in the car and finished the drive to the NY State Fairgrounds, the site of the Outdoor Classic that we were attending. Check back for a separate post regarding that unique event.

We got to the Syracuse area early around 11:15AM for the game that was scheduled to start at 1PM.

After the game, we walked back to the car and drove 96 miles via State road 13 which were picked up in Cortland, NY we passed through Ithaca, where my co-worker here at Fox Stations Sales, Dan Juvan went to college en route to Elmira to see another hockey game.

Interesting note about Dan, he played football at Ithaca College, he was their quarterback. In addition, he was given a try out by the Buffalo Bills in 2009. Unfortunately for him he didn't make the cut.


Before the game which started at 7:35PM we stopped since time did allow at Pudgie's. We got there at 6:40PM which left us plenty of time to sit and relax and we were able to enjoy some freshly made hot pizza.

Let me tell you it was as good as advertised. You can ask my friend, Larry Peim who joined the King and I for this getaway. He was raving about it.

We proceeded to go to the hockey game. After the game, I drove back to Hartsdale, NY to drop off Larry. He got home at 2:26AM. Next stop was the Castle where the King resides in Astoria, Queens I dropped him off at 3:15AM.

Last but not least I took myself home. I arrived home at 3:40AM.

Sunday I stayed home most of the day trying to catch up on sleep and cleaning up around the house before it was time to go back out to the IZOD Center to see the NJ Nets entertain the Memphis Grizzlies at 6PM.

I already did a post on that game so please feel free to check it out.

Monday morning I went back to Avis before going back to work to return the car rental. I returned the car at 7:02AM.

I drove 740 miles in all during this 3 day rental. Another reason why I think it's best to rent a car. Normally I do that kind of mileage in a 2 day rental if not more. Why should I buy a new car and abuse it when I can rent and test drive many different cars without having to worry about maintenance. It works for me.

Needless to say, I did get to work on time again. Until the next rental, I'll be staying in the local area.

No comments: