Royalty Tours USA

Monday, August 23, 2010

Royalty w/o 8/16 in review

Monday night, I went to see the first football game played at the New Meadowlands Stadium between the Jets and the Giants. The Jets were the home team.

As for the game, here are the details.

Tuesday night, I was at Yankee Stadium watching the Yankees behind CC Sabathia tame the Tigers, 6-2!

Wednesday night, I was back in the Bronx as the Yankees beat the Tigers again, 9-5!

Thursday with the Yankees playing in the afternoon, I was at work. After work, I came home to recharge the batteries and to prepare for my weekend getaway.

Friday night after work I was back in the Bronx to see the Seattle Mariners and their ace pitcher Felix Hernandez shut down the Yankees for 8 innings. He struck out 11 Yankees in the process. The Mariners cruised to a 6-0 victory.

Saturday morning I went to Avis to pick up my car rental. I wound up getting a Chevy Impala. I went to pick up the King and our friend Frank who went to the Yankee/Mariner game with us. We parked the car in the neighorhood for free.

We then walked over to the Stadium to see the game.

Before the game, I got to see people I had met last year who needed tickets to see Citi Field for the first time. I arranged to get them the tickets for Father's Day. They were Chris Miller from Stoughton, Massachusetts and his two step daughters. It was great to see them again.

The Yankees went on to beat the Mariners, 9-5!

Eduardo Nunez who was just called up by the Yankees the other day got his first major hit and run batted in.

After the game, Frank decided he'll go to Philadelphia with us to see the Phillies play the Nationals.

Since the Yankee game ended shortly after 4 o'clock, we had plenty of time to get down to Philadelphia so I decided to cut the cost of the trip down by avoiding some tolls on the NJ Turnpike as well as the Walt Whitman Bridge. We drove down the NJ Turnpike to Exit 9 and we picked up US 1 which takes you to I-95 that goes right into Philadelphia.

We parked the car on the street near the ballpark for free around 6:30PM, then we walked over to the ballpark.

We entered through the right field gate where we were greeted in royal fashion by Brenda the security guard and Lisa the supervisor. They always roll out the carpet when we come down. It's always a pleasure to see them and to say hello before we head into the park.

We proceeded to walk around towards the first base side to the elevator area where we saw our friend Jim Lowry who runs the left elevator. We exchanged pleasantries and we made our way up to section 319 where we stood to watch the game.

It was the first time we were seeing Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg pitch. He was dominating the Phillies with 6 strikeouts until there was one out in the fifth inning. All of a sudden, he threw a pitch and he winced and he held his wrist. He wound up departing the game with an injury.

The Nationals were leading 5-1 at the time. They went on to beat the Phillies, 8-1!

After the game, Frank decided he wanted to go home so we dropped him off at the bus terminal in Center City Philadelphia.

The King and I continued on our way towards Baltimore. We spent the night in Harve de Grace which is around 35 miles from Baltimore at  a Super 8.

Sunday morning we got up and we went to Baltimore to see the Orioles play the Texas Rangers at Camden Yards. Before the game, we met up with our friends from Baltimore, Peter & Carmen Agnew.

They joined us for breakfast at the Eichenkranz Restaurant.

After we ate, the King and I made our way to Camden Yards to see the game.  We parked the car for free on the street in the neighborhood. Then we took a short walk over to the ballpark.

During the game, we got a visit from another ballpark chaser. For further details, check back for a special post that I'm going to do.

As for the game we saw, the Texas Rangers beat the Baltimore Orioles, 6-4! The Rangers used the long ball not once but twice. In the first inning, Josh Hamilton, the Rangers third batter hit a 3 run home run to give the Rangers an early 3-0 lead. In the fifth inning, Vladimir Guerrero of the Rangers launched another 3 run home run to give the Rangers a 6-1 lead and they hung on for the victory.

After the game, the King and I took a 35 mile ride south to Bowie, Maryland to see a minor baseball game between the Richmond Flying Squirrels, the San Francisco Giants Double A affiliate and the Bowie Baysox, the Baltimore Orioles farm team. We arrived at 5:50PM for a 6:05PM start. I even stopped off at Wendy's to take out a quick meal.

The Flying Squirrels were victorious in this uprising if you will by a score of 4-0!

After the game, I drove us home. I dropped the the King off in Astoria, Queens at 1:30AM and then I took myself home and I arrived safely at 1:53AM.

I got a few hours sleep and then I returned the car rental to Avis and picked up my car and headed to work fresh as a daisy I might add. I drove 537 miles in the 2 days.

Another Royalty exclusive was in the books.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Stay tuned.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman


No comments: