Royalty Tours USA

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Royalty w/o 8/22 in review

Cyclones win!
After work on Monday I took a subway ride back out to Coney Island to see the completion of the game that was suspended with one out in the top of the fourth inning Sunday night with the Tri City Valley Cats leading 6-2. I missed a few innings since I had to work. I arrived in the seventh inning. I met up with my friend Phil Butleman, William Frank Guthrie and his wife Beth who were also there. We enjoyed each other's company for the rest of the night.

The Valley Cats wound up winning the suspended game by a score of 7-4.

As for the second game, it was supposed to be a seven inning game but since the score was tied at 2 they needed to play extra innings. We were one strike away from going to the ninth inning when Cyclones catcher Amauris Valdez ended the game with one swing as he delivered an unexpected game winning home run to give the Cyclones a 3-2 victory in the bottom of the eighth inning to earn them a split of the two games.

Tuesday night I went up to the Bronx to see the Yankees. On my way there on the subway, I wound up meeting a few people from Austrailia who were going to the game. Stay tuned for the special post I'm going to do about them.

As for the game I saw, the Yankees fell behind to the visiting Oakland Athletics, 6-0. They scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning and they added two more in the ninth thanks to a solo home run by Jorge Posada and a bases loaded walk to Robinson Cano but they couldn't get one more big hit as they left the bases loaded to end the game. They lost, 6-5 as the Athletics tried their best to give the game away.

Wednesday night I back to Yankee Stadium for more. I had my co-worker Stephen Orefice with me because he was meeting a friend up there and he wanted to go the royal way. It was a pleasure to have him along for the ride. Once we got up to the Stadium we parted ways.

As for the game I saw, it was a seesaw battle that was tied after nine innings at three. In the top of the tenth inning, the Athletics took the lead thanks to Coco Crisp who hit his second home run of the game. This one was a three run shot that gave the A's a 6-3 lead. In the bottom of the tenth inning, the Yankees scored a run on Nick Swisher's second home run of the game, a solo blast but they came up short as they lost, 6-4.

Thursday night I went home after work.

Friday night I went to Citi Field to see the Mets host the Braves that turned out to be a one game series since they decided to call off the games over the weekend with the threat of Hurricane Irene coming up the coast from the South.

The Mets went to beat up the Braves, 6-0. During the game, the King was trying to figure out his options of how he could avoid staying home since the subways were being shut down starting at Noon on Saturday.
After exhausting all his options, he told me to get him a car rental for the weekend. I went on my Blackberry and I went to work. Late in the game, I knew I could get him a car. Once I found the best deal I could get, I booked it. In addition, I booked a hotel for us to stay in Somerset, Pennsylvania.

He went to get the car Saturday morning and I did my wash. Once he came back, we left to head out to Cleveland, Ohio. Stay tuned for the special post that was written by Rick Morris in the FDH Lounge who met up with us while we were there.

After spending time at the game with Rick, we arranged to meet our friend Bessanne Hustosky who joined us for a quick meal at Steak N Shake. Even though the Indian game went very long, we decided to still make some time for her. It was great to see her again. It was short but it was definitely sweet. Thank you Bessanne for meeting up with the King and I.

After we said our goodbyes we drove to Somerset, PA where we got some sleep. We continued on in the morning as we decided to go to Baltimore, Maryland to the Orioles play the Yankees in a day/night doubleheader.

In the first game, the Orioles shutout the Yankees, 2-0 as Zach Britton threw seven scoreless innings to earn the victory.

Since the game went so fast we had plenty of time to have dinner between games.

Unfortunately our good friends Peter and Carmen Agnew were busy with family so they couldn't join us.
We decided to go to Looney's Pub, one of our local favorites for our between games meal. We saw Billy the chef who cooked us up some great chicken wings and burgers.

After we ate, we went back to Oriole Park at Camden Yards for game two of the twin bill.

We had some company thanks to Andrew Van Cleve from Chicago who was visiting the area as his wife Nicole is getting ready to start her new job at Temple University as a professor in Philadelphia.

As a result, they were visiting family and friends in Falls Church, Virginia which wasn't that far from Baltimore so Andrew knew the King and I were there so he decided to join us. He brought his cousins Timothy and Jonathan with him. It was their first game at Camden Yards.

It was a pleasure to have them with us.

As for the game we saw, the Yankees bats came alive as they overpowered the Orioles in this one, 8-3.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

1 comment:

Bessanne said...

Loved seeing you, Gary, and Mike!! I'm so glad we met in Tokyo at that Mets vs. Cubs series in March, 2000. It's been fun meeting up for the past eleven years.
If you haven't been to a game with Gary and Mike you are missing out.
See you guys in a few months. :)