Royalty Tours USA

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Royalty meets up with another roadtripper in Aberdeen at Ironbirds game after the Oriole game in Baltimore!

Sunday July 14th I was able to see a second baseball game on my way home from Baltimore. On paper I knew I had a good chance as long as the Orioles played a game in a timely fashion. Thankfully they did. The Oriole game ended at 4:11PM. I planned to drive 30 miles north to Aberdeen, Maryland for the Ironbird game at Ripken Stadium that was scheduled to start at 5:35PM against the Williamsport Crosscutters. It should be noted that Ripken Stadium is conveniently located right off the highway. You can see the stadium when you drive by on I-95.

Me & Sean Rowland at Ripken Stadium 
During the week, I got in touch with fellow roadtripper and Stadium Journey writer, Sean Rowland thanks to his website that said he was spending the weekend in Baltimore with his wife, Cheryl. They planned to go to see the Orioles play Saturday afternoon and the Ironbirds Sunday night. In between, they planned to go sightseeing. When I knew he was going to be at the Ironbird game, I told him I'll definitely be there.

It worked out well since I was able to get out of Baltimore quickly. Luckily I was able to dodge pockets of traffic on I-95 which allowed me to get to Ripken Stadium, home of the Aberdeen Ironbirds at 5:15PM. Upon arrival, I got a ticket and I headed inside. Shortly after the game started, Sean came over to where I was sitting and we enjoyed each other's company. He then went back to see his wife after we spoke for a little while. He told me he'll come back later in the game. True to his word, he came back with his wife, Cheryl who he introduced me to. It was nice to see him again.

As for the game we saw, it was very sloppy to say the least. The Ironbirds made a bunch of errors. They were fortunate that they were only charged with four. It should have been more. It was that bad. Since this was a low level minor league game, I wasn't too surprised with the quality of play but this game was really hard to watch. The visiting Crosscutters wound up beating the Ironbirds, 8-6.

After the game, I walked Sean & Cheryl back to their car in the parking lot. We said our goodbyes and we went our separate ways. Hopefully we'll meet up again down the road.

On my way home, I stopped off for some gas and a made to order chicken cheesesteak hoagie at Wawa's. I ate it in the car then I drove back home. Thankfully I wasn't working that Monday.

Stay tuned for a special post that will detail how I spent my day off.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: