Royalty Tours USA

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Royalty w/o 7/1 in review

Monday morning I was able to leave the car I rented from Dollar for the week on the street near the house thanks to Bryan Gilligan because he left his car there on the right side of the street so I didn't have to worry about moving it because of alternate side parking. With that being said, I took his spot. I got some sleep then I woke up & I went to work with peace of mind.

After work I went to Taste of Dolly's for pizza on my way to Citi Field to see the Mets open a four game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. I was exhausted but I still followed my game plan. Upon arrival to the Rotunda when I got off the 7 train, I was greeted by my pal, Sam Citron. It's always a pleasure to see him.

Upon entry, I went upstairs to the promenade level where I was joined by David Sack, Manny Morales, Pat Gorman, Alan Gimpel & Martin Caamano in section 515. It should be noted the usual regulars were there as well. I'm referring to Ralph & Vincent Ascanio, Bryan Gilligan & the King. These guys live at Citi Field so it seems.

As for the game we saw, it was another long one. The Mets wound up winning this one, 5-4 in 13 innings as Josh Satin delivered the game winning hit. I decided to leave after 11 innings because I needed to get some sleep. I'm glad I did. It took them almost an hour to play the last two innings. I got home in time to see the end of the game it was that bad.

Tuesday night after work I went to Checker's for dinner before I returned to Citi Field for more punishment.
This time I sat in section 516 with Phil Butleman, David Sack, Manny Bonilla, Frank Anichiarico, Al Linderman and Pat Gorman as well as the usual fixtures.

As for the game we saw, the Mets wound up winning, 8-1. In the process, they handed Diamondbacks' starter Patrick Corbin his first loss of the season. He was 9-0 coming in. This game was actually a fast one it went only 2 hours and 24 minutes. The only problem was there was an hour and 41 minute rain delay that kept us in the ballpark for just over four hours. Another night I lost sleep. I'm glad I stuck it out this time even though I really wanted to leave. The Mets broke a 1-1 tie with seven runs in the seventh inning after the delay to enable them to put the game away.

Wednesday I went to work. I thought I would be getting out early but I didn't know for sure until I got back from lunch at 1PM when I was told we were leaving at 3PM. I was relieved to hear that. As a result, I went home for a while. I got to lay down for an hour or so. I got up and I made myself dinner. I decided to drive the car I rented to Citi Field so I didn't have to be at the mercy of the MTA.

When I got in the car I noticed it said there was a light saying low tire pressure. I decided to stop off at Dollar so I could get that checked out. I had a long weekend trip planned and the last thing I needed was to get stuck. With that being said, I wisely got the problem fixed. It cost me 15 minutes. When I was done, I proceeded to park the car on the street within walking distance from Citi Field on 114th street just before Northern Blvd at 6:55PM. I raced over to the ballpark hoping to see the first pitch around 7:10PM. I did arrive in time in a huff and a puff only to see the tarp was on the field because there was a threat of rain in the area. With that being said, another long night awaited us.

Matt Harvey was starting for the Mets and it was fireworks night after the game. As a result, there was a huge crowd on hand.

We were able to sit in section 516. Amongst those who were there that night were Steve Tepperman, David Sack, Manny Bonilla who was with his sister Vicky and his nephew Gio. It should be noted they were seeing their first baseball game. It was nice to be a part of it with them. We also had additional in house entertainment as the Hooligan's and the 7 Line were present & accounted for in section 513. It was great to hear them when a Diamondback struck out because they love to join the King in his signature strikeout call.

As for the game we saw, It finally started at 9:01PM. A one hour & 51 minute rain delay this time. Matt Harvey didn't pitch great on this night. He shutout the Diamondbacks for the first five innings. Thanks to solo home runs by David Wright and Josh Satin who hit his first major league home run the Mets lead, 2-0. In the sixth inning, Cody Ross hit a three run homer to give the Diamondbacks a 3-2 lead. Matt Harvey gave up a lead off walk which was followed by a single & a double to start the seventh inning. That was the end of the night for him. The Met bullpen allowed the two of the three inherited runners to score so Matt Harvey's line looked a lot worse than it appeared. He did walk three & he fanned nine. He wound up taking the loss as the Mets fell to the Diamondbacks, 5-3. The game ended at 12:18AM.

Thursday afternoon the King & I spent our Independence Day back at Citi Field. Upon entry to the ballpark, we got an All-Star gnome.

We went upstairs to section 515 and where we were joined by fellow roadtripper Charlie O'Reilly who was there too. It was great to see him again. We also had our pals William Frank Guthrie, Pat Gorman & David Sack there as well.

As for the game we saw, the Mets & Diamondbacks played another marathon. This time without a rain delay. The game wound up going 15 innings. It lasted five hours and 46 minutes. It finally ended at 6:57PM. The Mets finally succumbed to the snakes, 5-4, as Cliff Pennington delivered the game winning single as the Mets settled for a split of the four game set after they won the first two. They miraculously tied the game not once but twice in the 13th and 14th innings after the Diamondbacks pushed across the go ahead run thanks to Anthony Recker and Kirk Nieuwenhuis, two unlikely sources who both hit solo home runs to prolong the agony for the Mets.

Stay tuned for some special posts that will recap the adventurous holiday weekend the King & I enjoyed.

Thank you for reading & following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: