Royalty Tours USA

Friday, September 3, 2010

PGE Park-Home of the Portland Beavers



After visiting Mount Rainier National Park, it was time to say hello and goodbye to another park.

I drove into downtown Portland, Oregon to see the Portland Beavers, the Triple A affiliate of the San Diego Padres play at PGE Park.

I recently found out that the Beavers days were numbered in Portland so it was an added bonus in a way that I happen to going there.

I don't know where the Beavers are going to play next season yet.

As for PGE Park, it's an old building that has been modernized to have hosted not just baseball games but soccer games as well.

I heard they're going to make it just a soccer stadium. With that being said, the Beavers need to find a new home.

As it turned out, I'm glad I can say at least I saw a baseball game there.

As for the game I saw, the hometown Beavers played the Las Vegas 51's who are the Toronto Blue Jays farm team.

The Beavers lost to the 51's, 9-2! They fell behind 6-0 in the second inning as the 51's starting pitcher Luis Perez pitched a complete game to get the victory.

I saw some recognizable players in this game. Mike Jacobs, the former Met, played for the 51's.

As for the Beavers, they had a number of players who have played in the major leagues. They were Wily Mo Pena, a former Yankee farm hand, Josh Barfield, his father Jesse, played in the major leagues for the Blue Jays and Yankees, Jody Gerut who hit the first home run at Citi Field last year on Opening night, Nick Green who also saw some time with the Yankees and the Rays and relief pitcher Mike Koplove who pitched for the Diamondbacks.

Next up was a visit to Eugene, Oregon to see the Oregon Ducks play.

Stay tuned as the ride continues.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: