Royalty Tours USA

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Royalty returns to Safeco Field for the first time in 11 years!

After visiting Pike's Place Public Market, it was finally time to see Safeco Field again.

The only games I saw there was back in September 1999 when the Red Sox played the Mariners shortly after the ballpark opened in the middle of July.

I saw two games on that trip. One of them Pedro Martinez pitched a gem. What a game we saw that day.

As for the ballpark in general, I remember it being a nice place to see a game.

My memory rarely fails me. Once again it didn't let me down.

Once I walked inside the building and saw the lower level seating area, I was impressed.

When I go to Citi Field, I always walk into a nightmare. Everything there is so restricted and blocked off.

On the other hand, I walked into Safeco Field, it was like a dream come true.

Yes, it's another park that has all dark green seats. But in this case it makes a lot more logical sense.

The State of Washington is known as the Evergreen State.

There's lush green everywhere so it's fitting there too.

I'll be back for a second visit on Sunday as I wrap up this excursion to the Great Northwest.

Joey Kraft will be meeting me again.

I'm very grateful that he's willing to watch the Mariners play despite the horrible season they've been having.

He knew I was coming months ago so like me he's willing to stay true to his word by keeping me company. He's good people in my eyes.

We're suppose to be treated because King Felix Hernandez is scheduled to start that game.

I just hope it lives up to billing. I've seen King Felix beat the Yankees twice at Yankee Stadium this season already. He's a joy to watch pitch. I hope they give him enough run support.

As for the game on Thursday night, the retractable roof was open.

We wound up sitting right behind home plate in the upper level in the first few rows. What a great view we had.

As for the game, the Mariners got off to a fast start as they took a 3-0 lead through the first 5 innings.
In the sixth inning, Doug Fister, the Mariners starting pitcher who was cruising along giving up just one hit all of a sudden lost it. He gave up 4 runs on 6 hits with Shin-Soo Choo delivering the big blow, a 3 run double that tied the game at 3. He also hit a 2 run home run in the ninth inning to give the Indians the insurance they needed as they went on to win, 6-3!

The dreadful Mariner season can't end fast enough for their suffering fans.

Being a Met fan, I know how they feel.

The ballpark itself is worth the time and effort.

If you haven't been there yet, I strongly suggest that you plan to get there next year.

If so, please feel free to contact me so I can make sure it's a memorable experience.

Stay tuned as my journey continues through the Great Northwest.

Thank you for reading and following along.

Yours truly,

Gary Herman

No comments: